Online Etiquette and Safety
(eCYBERMISSION rendition of its rules of e-tiquette; some ideas drawn from excerpts of the book Netiquette by Virginia Shea, copyright © 1994-1999 Albion.com Webmaster@albion.com)
All eCYBERMISSION participants should follow these basic rules of online etiquette.
- Respect others and be mindful of the language that you use. Do not use vulgar or profane language on the website.
- Conduct yourself online as you would at any other time, or in any other place
- Remember that Discussion Forums and Team Talk are never completely private.
- Do not post or write any personal or identifying information on the website.
- Be respectful of the CyberGuides and their availability to all students. All chat room conversations with CyberGuides should relate to a project or eCYBERMISSION.
- Respect other people's time and bandwidth.
- When you post to the eCYBERMISSION Discussion Forum or participate in online chat sessions be respectful not to waste people's time with unnecessary, unrelated, and/or repetitive information.
- Respect others' ideas while using the Team Talk and Discussion Forums. You may not agree with what someone has typed, but you should always be polite and respectful.
- If you notice inappropriate language, personally identifying information or behavior that makes you uncomfortable on the eCYBERMISSION website, notify your Team Advisor, Mission Control or a CyberGuide immediately.
Team Advisor and Student Responsibilities:
- Team Advisors are responsible for the behavior and ethical conduct of their students, both inside and outside of the classroom. This includes, but is not limited to, postings in Discussion Forums, chat rooms and Instant Messaging, as well as in experiments conducted by the team.
- Students should conduct themselves ethically and in compliance with the eCYBERMISSION competition rules and regulations when using the Discussion Forums and Team Talk, as well as when conducting experiments
Online Safety Rules
eCYBERMISSION wants your online experience to be fun and safe. Review these Online Safety Rules and keep them in mind when you use the eCYBERMISSION website.
- I will not give out any personal or identifying information without my parents’ or guardians' permission, including, but not limited to, my name, email address, home address, telephone number, parent's work address/telephone number, or the name and location of my school.
- I will tell my parents or guardians right away if I come across any information that makes me feel uncomfortable. I will also tell my Team Advisor and ask them to inform eCYBERMISSION Mission Control.
- I will never agree to get together with someone I "meet" online without first checking with my parents. If my parents or guardians agree to the meeting, I will be sure that it is in a public place and bring my parents or guardians along.
- I will never send a person my picture or anything else without first checking with my parents or guardians.
- I will not respond to any messages that are inappropriate or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. It is not my fault if I get a message like that. If I do, I will tell my parents, guardian or my Team Advisor right away so that they can contact the eCYBERMISSION Mission Control.
- I will conduct myself ethically and in compliance with the eCYBERMISSION competition rules and online etiquette guidelines when using the chat rooms, Discussion Forums and Instant Messaging, as well as when conducting experiments.